This site uses cookies. By continuing, your consent is assumed. Learn more

119.8fm shares

1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment


The Mumbai gang rapealso known as the Shakti Mills gang rape[1] [2] refers to the incident in which a year-old photojournalist, who was interning with an English-language magazine in Mumbaiwas gang-raped by five people, including a juvenile.

The incident occurred on 22 Augustwhen she had gone to the deserted Shakti Mills compound, near Mahalaxmi in South Mumbaiwith a male colleague on an assignment.

142. Cristiano Ronaldo

The accused had tied up the victim's colleague with belts and raped her. The accused took photos of the victim during the sexual assault, and threatened to release them to social networks if she reported the rape. Later, an eighteen year old call centre employee reported that she too had been gang-raped, on 31 July inside the mills complex. On 20 Marcha Mumbai sessions court convicted all five adult accused in both cases on 13 counts.

On 4 Aprilthe court awarded the death penalty to the three repeat offenders in the photojournalist rape case. For the other two accused, one was awarded life imprisonment while the other accused turned approver in the case.

Two minors, one in each case, were tried by the Juvenile Justice Board separately. They were convicted on 15 Julyand sentenced to three years including time in custody in a Nashik reform school, the maximum punishment that a juvenile offender can receive under Indian law. A year-old photojournalist working in Mumbai was gang-raped by five people at the Shakti Mills compound, where she had gone on assignment with a male colleague on 22 August Five men tied up the male colleague and took turns raping the photojournalist while holding a broken beer bottle to her neck to keep her from shouting for help.

The rapists then forced the victim to clean the crime scene, and took two photos of her on a cellphone, threatening to release the photos on social networks if she reported the attack. Following the assault, the men brought her back to the place where her colleague was being held. They accompanied the survivor and her colleague to the railway tracks around 7: They went by taxi to Jaslok Hospital at Peddar Road. The victim called her mother and told her to meet her at the hospital.

The survivor was bleeding profusely when she arrived at the hospital. She was immediately admitted and began undergoing medical treatment. In a statement 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment the media from her hospital bed, the victim said, "I want no other woman in this city and country to go through such a brutal physical humiliation perpetrators should be punished severely as they have "1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment" my life.

No punishment short of a life term will take away my pain and humiliation and physical abuse I underwent. Rape is not the end of life. I will continue fighting. She is still not completely out of trauma but she is composed.

Mar 12, Mumbai: March 12,...

On 3 September, a year-old telephone operator with a private firm reported to authorities that she had been gang raped at 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment Shakti Mills compound by five men on 31 July Three of the men involved were also accused in the photojournalist's case.

Information about past sexual conduct has been considered irrelevant. Police formed 20 teams and officers from 12 crime branch units and 16 police stations were involved in the case. Chand Shaikh was the first to be arrested.

He was arrested in the early hours of 23 August from his residence in the Dhobi Ghat slum in Saat Raasta. He sold vegetables along with his grandmother for 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment living.

Vijay Jadhav aged 19 was the second accused to be arrested. He was sleeping at a video club at Dagad Chawl in Madanpura, when he was arrested by police at around 3: He had previously been arrested in for breaking into a house.

Siraj Rehman Khan alias Sirju 24 was arrested from a hideout in Govandi on 24 August based on information police obtained from interrogating Shaikh and Jadhav. He worked odd-jobs at shops for a living.

Siraj Khan lived on a footpath near Dhobi Ghat at Agripada. His mother was dead, and he had no contact with his father. Qasim Shaikh 21 was arrested at 3: Police received a tipoff at 2: Following the crime, Qasim Shaikh had returned to his residence at Kalapani in Agripada.

He began watching television, when he received a call from a police constable inquiring about his whereabouts. Salim Ansari 27who police described as the chief planner of the crime, was the last to be arrested. He was arrested by Delhi Police on the Delhi-Haryana border at Ansari had hidden in Govandi following the crime, and fled to Delhi on a long-distance train that he probably boarded from Kurla.

A man convicted of financing...

Ansari hid at a relative's house in the Bharat Nagar slum, and planned to flee to Nepal. He was arrested by police while out for a walk. An officer stated that he "seemed oblivious to the possibility of the police looking for him. He was calmly going towards his relative's place when a police team of four swooped down on him. He was produced before a Delhi court, and brought back to Mumbai on 25 August.

On 19 Septemberthe Mumbai crime branch filed charges against the four adults, and the report on charges against a minor delinquent was given to the juvenile court. The sessions court ordered the prosecution to start trail proceedings in the case from 14 October This charge of section 67A is only against Ansari as he was the one who showed porn clips to survivor. The court informed special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam that since the matter is on fast track, the trial should be completed within 60 days.

The court further held that the trial in the case would run on regular basis. On 14 Octoberthe first day of the trial, three panch independent witnesses gave their statements. The photojournalist's boss also made his deposition the same day. The proceedings were held "in-camera" on the second and third days. On 17 October, the year-old photojournalist deposed in the court in front of four of her assaulters, and identified them during a four-hour deposition.

The telephone operator deposed before the court on 30 October. According to Nikam, "As the proceedings began in the morning, the girl started weeping. "1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment"

Assuming that she was afraid of the accused, the judge ordered that a partition be put up between them. She still could not stop weeping. I told the court that she is a brave girl and she would give her statement.

After some time, she regained her composure. She said she would talk about her ordeal. She then recognised four of the five accused present 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment the court.

On 15 JulyJuvenile Justice Board convicted the two juvenile rapists involved in the crimes and sentenced them to three years at a Nashik reform school. The maximum punishment for a juvenile offender under Indian law is three years, which includes time in custody. On 20 Marchthe sessions court convicted all five adult accused on 13 counts, including gang rapedestruction of evidence, wrongful restraint, assault, common intention, unnatural sex, criminal conspiracy of the IPC and certain Sections of the Information Technology Act.

On 21 March, the Mumbai sessions court awarded life sentences to four of the accused in the telephone operator case.

Feb 26, Twenty years later,...

The crime was not an impulsive act, but the premeditated outcome of a criminal conspiracy. They sexually ravished the girl and left her in a pathetic state.

A proper signal has to be sent out to society. Even if in this case the accused are not reformed, others like them will be deterred. In some cases, mercy is justified. But in this case it would 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment misplaced and would be a mockery of justice". Following the conviction of the three repeat offenders Vijay Jadhav, Qasim Bengali, and Mohammed Salim Ansari in both gang rapes, on 4 April prosecutor Nikam moved an application to add charges against them under section E of the IPC, which provides for the death sentence for repeated rape convictions.

The section was introduced by the Criminal Law Amendment Act inin the aftermath of the Delhi gang rape. They deserve maximum sentence.

Sep 7, Mumbai blast, blasts...

Any leniency shown to the accused would be a mockery of justice. Their crime has shocked collective consciousness. Awarding the death penalty, the judge stated, "Mumbai gang-rape accused have least respect for law. They don't have potential for reformation as per facts of case. The suffering that gang-rape survivor and her family has undergone is unparalleled. Mumbai gang-rape accused were emboldened since law enforcing agencies hadn't caught them. If this is not the case where death sentence prescribed by law is not valid, which is?

Exemplary and rarest of rare punishment is required in the case. It was executed in the most gruesome manner with no mercy or show of human dignity to the survivor. The accused were acting in pursuance of criminal conspiracy as judicially 1993 bomb blast accused of sexual harassment. However, citing judgments by the Supreme Court, the judge stated that "Conviction cannot be dependent on the social and the economic status of the victim or the accused and the race, caste, creed of the accused cannot be taken into consideration.

They did not commit the crime under any duress or compulsion. They had enjoyed the act.

This was a case, where the accused were completely unprovoked. The judge also rubbished the defence's claims that the victims had suffered no physical injuries.